Monday, July 18, 2011

harry lyme, Dante and an incredible art journey ...

DANTE’S DIVINE COMEDY: INFERNO # 1057

DANTE’S DIVINE COMEDY: INFERNO # 1057 by harry lyme


Few days back I visited the BIENNALE in VENICE, the famous ART SHOW
featuring all Artists around the Globe.
Should I have decided for the American candidate I would have chosen
 harry lyme....

Listen to this:
here there is a man that has the brilliant idea in reading and illustrating the DIVINA COMMEDIA by DANTE
all in a ultra modern and sophisticate way. Every set is a work of modern art. Among his creations these are my favorites.
Not in their original sequence nor I did add the comments by harry lyme,
I just wanted to give you a visual taste of what this incredible
Artist is capable of.
Click on the title and you will go directly to Brent's page on Polyvore.

I hope one day we will all have the fortune to see this amazing
 WORK OF ART exhibited in a Museum.... We should create one to commemorate Mr. Dante.
I imagine it would be a spyral one like the Guggenheim in NY to mimic the Dante's rings...
Hanging on the walls the large panels by harry lyme  are very densly placed.
Stepping on the floor next to the paining a voice will narrate the "canto"...
Brent your artwork is divine


DANTE’S DIVINE COMEDY: INFERNO # 1032

DANTE’S DIVINE COMEDY: INFERNO # 971


DANTE’S DIVINE COMEDY: INFERNO # 965


DANTE’S DIVINE COMEDY: INFERNO # 678



DANTE’S DIVINE COMEDY: INFERNO # 1062

DANTE’S DIVINE COMEDY: INFERNO # 1065


DANTE’S DIVINE COMEDY: INFERNO # 1068



DANTE’S DIVINE COMEDY: INFERNO # 1089


DANTE’S DIVINE COMEDY: INFERNO # 1118


DANTE’S DIVINE COMEDY: INFERNO # 1122


DANTE’S DIVINE COMEDY: INFERNO # 1124


DANTE’S DIVINE COMEDY: INFERNO # 1161


DANTE’S DIVINE COMEDY: INFERNO # 1192


DANTE’S DIVINE COMEDY: INFERNO # 1229


DANTE’S DIVINE COMEDY: INFERNO # 1250


DANTE’S DIVINE COMEDY: INFERNO # 1252


DANTE’S DIVINE COMEDY: INFERNO # 1265


DANTE’S DIVINE COMEDY: INFERNO # 1428


DANTE’S DIVINE COMEDY: INFERNO # 1437



 a brief statement from Brent

In my lifetime I have lived in several art worlds. I’m a professor and pedagogue who lives in the international world of art education where I publish my research about children’s drawings and popular visual culture.
 I’m an artist who makes artist-books, which I have exhibited in Taipei, Hong Kong, and New York.
 I’m a consumer of art who visits New York art museums and galleries almost every week.
 Still, I have had a longing for more. For most of my life I have wished to live in an ideal art world where I could play all the roles at once—artist, critic, collector, pedagogue, exhibiter, curator, inquirer, historian, connoisseur, colleague, confidant, whatever. I have found that ideal art world. It is Polyvore!

Polyvore is an art world where I interact with hundreds of fellow artists.
 I present my works to them and they present their works to me.
We discuss, judge, interpret, and collect our artworks.
 Polyvore is an egalitarian art world where artists young and old, naïve and sophisticated, male and female, artists from East and West interact as equals.
 We teach and learn from one another. It’s a joyful place where images from high art and popular art interact with fashion and every imaginable form of visual culture.
My Polyvore collages are a form of inquiry. For more than a year I have been making sets based on Dante’s Divine Comedy—I have created over 1300 images and I’m only at canto 29.

 Exploring this great work is a selfish adventure because every canto suggests hundreds of parallel visual possibilities. The poem feeds my imagination. The Divine Comedy leads me to make surprising visual discoveries; it inspires me to create artworks that I would never have made without it. The Comedy takes me to visual worlds hitherto unknown. Through these images I am able to embed myself in other times and other places—to see myself in relationship to my past, to see myself in relationship to all sorts of possible futures, to see myself in relationship to good and evil. I think I live in the ideal art world—it’s Polyvore!

 My website? I don’t keep it up to date, but it does show some of my artist books and exhibitions: http://brentartworks.com/ .